Saturday, April 11, 2015

Oh, hey there. Long time, no see.

This is my first Gerich Gardens' blog post in just under a year. I had made a conscious decision to take a year off from writing here when I found that, at times, it was starting to feel more like a chore than the fun, informative thing I had originally created. I had a few influences on my need to set this to the back burner among them being that I had just taken over a community garden and all of the nuances that come along with that. My wife's job became (and has remained) very busy especially during the spring and summer months, a thing for which I am very thankful every day. I was also dealing with a two year old who was both increasingly physically active and demanding and also one of the moodiest and needy human beings I have ever interacted with.

I know. I'm not complaining or trying to whine. All of those things listed above bring me great joy every day. People every day have busier lives and worse things going on than dealing with a toddler with an anger complex. But, for me and my first world problems, this blog had to take a back seat break. And I was okay with that.


A fresh beginning as shown by this spring flower

But now? I miss it. I miss writing about and sharing one of my passions. My wife's job is still a busy one but has afforded us (me especially) many opportunities, my gardening life being one of them. My 3 year old little boy is just that, a boy and not a toddler anymore. And much less angry... most of the time. He likes to help his daddy in the garden. I can talk to him and explain things now and he can use words and sentences to express himself. That shit is so much easier to deal with now. What a difference a year makes! And as far as the community garden thing goes? I feel like I have an okay grasp on it now. I'm not the best garden leader ever but I like to think I can run a good ship.

So I've decided to reboot this corner of the internet. Quite purposely on the first garden clean up day and the first day that I put seeds and seedlings into the ground. The official start of spring for any gardener is when you can get out there and work the soil. Get out there and play in the dirt. That is when the Earth feels like it has awoken from its winter slumber. It's a mini holiday that I get excited for. I get up and finish plans on where I will be planting everything over a cup of coffee, even though once I start planting I always end up changing it and making edits to my paper plans while in the field. I even took an early morning field trip to Horrock's Garden Center.


THIS is what trucks are for
So one of the things that happened while I was on hiatus was that I got a new vehicle. A red Dodge Ram pick up truck to be exact. I took a picture of all of the tools I loaded into it today because I was so excited. It was the first time I was able to do so since we brought it home in January and it just felt right. I would also be remiss if I didn't mention the fact that while I was loading things up and heading out to the community garden, my wife did a bang up job of cleaning out our garage from the winter clusterfuck it had become. Thanks hunny!

I didn't take any pictures at the garden today. I probably should have but once you get working, sometimes things fall by the wayside. Plus, all it really looks like is dirt and straw. But, trust me! Seeds were sown and work was done! A lot of that work was done by fine garden members. A true group effort.

After everyone left the garden today, I was able to get in the dirt, make my hands caked black, and get lost in the process of planting. Clear the ground, trough the dirt, put seed(lings) in, cover, repeat. I was able to bury 4 different kinds of potatoes, radishes, carrots, peas, and onions into the ground out there today. That is a good day. I didn't get all of it done and I started to get frustrated that I hadn't. I've always hated leaving something unfinished. As an example, this is a regular occurrence and conversation in our home. My wife: "Okay, I'm done with cards for tonight." Me: "But... we only played two games! You can't just quit when the series is tied." Or, "At least play the best of 5!"

 But as a I get older, I am able to accept the fact and understand the saying that Rome wasn't built in a day. It will be there tomorrow. And that is okay.

I have garden stuff happening around my own home as well. Allow my visual evidence to explain

Buds on one of my Black Raspberry canes

Bud growth on Red Raspberry cane

Beautiful Crocus

Garlic bed developing really well
There are literally dozens of other things that I could touch on and talk about in terms of gardening things that are happening. Such a busy time of year. But this post is already super long and I commend you for getting this far. The good news is that I expect to be able to put more Gerich Garden posts to the proverbial paper in the near future to cover it all.

In the meantime, I hope to hear from and interact with you on all things gardening. Thanks for reading.



Mitch

No comments:

Post a Comment